Under the rules of the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission (TABC), businesses or individuals can obtain temporary permits to sell and serve alcohol in two scenarios:

  • Holders of TABC retail permits can obtain a temporary permit to sell or serve alcoholic beverages at any event that is to take place at a different location or venue than their own TABC-licensed premises
  • Certain religious, civic and charitable organizations can obtain temporary permits to sell or serve alcoholic beverages at special events that are not located on TABC-licensed premises (think of a church festival, for example)

However, individuals may not obtain a temporary permit for selling alcohol if they do not have a TABC retailer permit and do not represent any such organization described above.

With all this in mind, here are a few examples of some of the most frequently asked questions we receive about temporary TABC liquor licenses in Dallas, TX.

Q: What do I need to submit my application?

A: You can visit the website of the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission and obtain an application packet for a temporary license or permit. The packet contains all the information you need to submit your application properly.

Q: When and where should I apply for my permit?

A: You should submit your application at least 10 business days in advance of the event for which you need the permit, just to be on the safe side and avoid any delays associated with processing. You can submit your application in person at your local TABC office—again, the TABC website has a feature that will allow you to find the office closest to you for your convenience.

Q: How do I know which permit to apply for?

A: The TABC website has a full list of the various types of temporary permits it issues, and that list includes information such as who is eligible for application for those permits and how they are outlined in the Alcoholic Beverage Code.

Q: Can I distribute alcohol for free without a permit?

A: You are able to offer complimentary alcoholic beverages without a permit. However, those beverages must be available for any adult who requests a beverage. If the beverages are only available for paying customers, then in the eyes of the law the cost of the beverage is included in the price of whatever service is being rendered, which is the same in essence as a sale of alcoholic beverages. Therefore, there cannot be any expectation of receiving money in any way if you are to give out alcoholic beverages—you cannot even ask for tips or donations. Some examples include small shops that serve wine or champagne to people while they shop, and even wedding receptions.

Q: Can I sell alcohol at a fundraiser?

Yes, but you will need to get the proper permit to do so, and the fundraiser will need to meet certain qualifications based on the venue and the organization putting on the event.

For more information about getting a temporary TABC liquor license in Dallas, TX, contact LaBarba Permit Service today.