We get a lot of questions about liquor licenses in Dallas, TX, and one that we commonly receive regards whether a license or permit can either be used by or transferred to another person or entity.

Unfortunately, the answer here is no. If the business changes ownership, the new owner of the business must apply for his or her own license or permit. You cannot continue operating under the same permit the old owner had for the business, or transfer that permit from the old owner to the new owner in any way.

A liquor license can, however, be moved from one location to another, so long as the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission (TABC) approves the change. The holder of the liquor license must submit an application requesting that change. The TABC will only approve that change if it’s a location within the same county in which the license was originally issued. If it’s in a different county, then you’ll need to get an entirely new license. These rules also affect permits to sell liquor.

All other standard rules still apply when you’re applying for your liquor license. You must be at least 21 years old, have a clean criminal background, legally reside in the United States and be deemed to have “good moral character.” You must also abide by all the rules regarding the distance from schools and churches you must keep when selling alcohol.

How long will it take to process my permit application?

Okay, so you’re the new owner of a bar and cannot use the old owner’s liquor permit. How long will it take for you to get the permit you need to keep selling alcoholic beverages?

Generally you can expect it to take anywhere from 45 to 60 days to get your permit, though this time frame can vary depending on the kind of license you’re seeking and the certifications required by your city’s and county’s local governing authorities. In some cases, it can take longer than 60 days.

Obviously this is an issue you need to consider when planning out a transfer of ownership—you don’t want to have any down time or closure time because you no longer have a liquor license. Therefore, you should begin the process of applying for a new license as soon as the business sale or transfer process begins.

If you need any sort of assistance, it’s highly recommended that you work with your local TABC office. They have representatives who are happy to help you through the process, giving you all the forms you need and answering any questions you have so you can complete the application efficiently.

If you have any further questions about how to obtain a liquor license for your business or how you can make the process of getting a license go more smoothly after you take over a business that sells alcohol, we encourage you to contact LaBarba Permit Service and we’ll be happy to tell you more about liquor licenses in Dallas, TX.